Solid-State Microwave Generators
What is PrecisePower™?
PrecisePower™ is a family of solid state power generators covering the two major ISM bands, 902-928 MHz (L-Band) and 2400-2500 MHz (S-band), based on a common hardware and software architecture. Various system sizes are available, covering 10 to 75 kWs on the L-band systems, or from 1 to 12 kW on the S-Band systems. All systems are frequency agile and capable of operating either at a single fixed frequency, or in a frequency sweep mode that can cover the entire ISM band.
Why Is Solid State Power Better than Magnetrons?
There are many advantages to solid-sate microwave power. Some of the key benefits include precision power, frequency, and phase control with ultra-fast response time. Magnetrons are noisy and unstable; solid state delivers pure, clean RF. The power transistors used in PrecisePower™ are far more reliable than magnetrons with a rated lifetime of over 500,000 hours versus the few thousand hours typical of magnetrons. They use safe, low-voltage DC power instead of dangerous multi-kV power supplies.
Why is Frequency Agility Important?
Changing the operating frequency of a microwave power source has two major effects. First, it changes the coupling of the microwave energy to the load. By finding the frequency of optimal coupling using the PrecisePower™ software, this ensures maximum energy transfer to the load and usually eliminates the need for a costly and cumbersome mechanical tuner. Second, when the operating frequency changes, the “hot” and “cold” spots in the applicator move around; by sweeping through the frequency range and moving the hot and cold spots, this effectively acts as method of "electronic stirring" that results in much better uniformity of heating. PrecisePower™ provides both automatic tuning and sweeping features.
What are the Built in Analytic Features?
The PrecisePower™ software suite provides a rich interactive user experience to control and evaluate the user’s entire application system, from generator to load.
- Real-time metering of forward and reflected power output, SWR, and return loss with better than 1% accuracy.
- An integral scalar network analyzer that graphs and displays real-time forward power (S21) and return loss (S11) data across the entire band.Works while the system is running, even at high power.
- Automatic selection of optimal operating frequencies or ranges of frequencies.
- Power utilization measurement in cumulative kilowatt hours.
- Real-time operating efficiency calculation for both RF load and line power
What are the Options for External Interfacing?
Several versatile control interfaces are included as standard features:
- The PrecisePower™ Windows™ application program that is a complete stand-alone application that provides intuitive, interactive access to all system capabilities.
- A comprehensive LabView™ Virtual Instrument suite is included.
- A TCP/IP server for local or remote control over the Internet.
- Standard industrial DC digital and analog I/O for direct control by any programmable logic controller.
How About Reliability?
PrecisePowerTM systems are rock solid and highly reliable. Each LDMOS RF power transistor is protected by an integrated circulator that diverts excess reflected power. A dedicated high speed microcontroller constantly monitors key operating parameters including voltage, current, temperature, and return loss to protect the system from unsafe conditions before damage can occur.